Automation of a deburring machine
BUSINESS CASE: The automation of your industrial processes can offer both economical and physical opportunities for your company and your employees. In this business case, we will show the benefits for a company that decides to automate a deburring machine by Teqram. In this specific case a machine to round edges.
The following example information used for this test:
- Maximum weight of product is 125 kg.
- Distance between products: 100 mm (in length and width).
- Dimensions of products to deburr: between 150 x 150 mm and 1300 x 1300 mm.
- Throughput capacity (values for high quality single side deburring):
- Radius 0.5mm == 1200 mm/Min
- Radius 1.0mm == 1000 mm/Min
- Radius 1.5mm == 500 mm/Min
- Radius 2.0mm == 300 mm/Min
Max. amount of products for a 0.5 mm radius.
|Product dimensions||150 mm||300 mm||450 mm||600 mm||>750 mm|
|Steel thickness (mm)||5||10||15||20||25|
|Product weight (kg)||0,9||7,0||23,7||56,2||109,7|
|Amount of products next to eachother||6||3||2||2||1|
|Products per hour (double side)||144||90||65||51||42|
|Kilograms per hour (handling)||254||1.264||3.102||5.776||9.291|
|Yearly per 1800 hours / 1 shift||259.200||162.000||117.818||92.571||76.235|
|Yearly per 5400 hours ( 3 shifts)||777.600||486.000||353.455||277.714||228.706|
- Even for lightweight products (ie. deburring steel plates up to 25 kg.) the physical load is considerable (>3 Tonnes per hour for loading and unloading).
- To reach these amounts, 2 employees per shift will be needed. (even for a double side deburring machine).
- Secondly, every employee will need a swivel crane.
- Double side deburring machines offer a lower quality than single side deburring machines.
- From a quality point of view, the best choice is a single side deburring machine. Every product will be put through the machine two times (each side once).
Comparison of investments.
To calculate the costs and gains of an investment in robotizing a deburring machine, a comparison is made between a regular deburring machine and a deburring machine equipped with our easyEye®.
|Double side deburring machine + 2 swivel cranes||Single side deburring machine + 2 robots|
|2x swivel crane||€20.000||€0|
Looking at just the investment, deburring metal with a regular machine without our easyEye® is cheaper. However, a calculation of the total costs shows different:
|Excl. electricity, wear and maintenance costs||Double side deburring machine + 2 swivel cranes||Single side deburring machine + robots|
|Write-down (7 years)||€34.000 per year||€56.000 per year|
|Labor costs 1 shift per year||2 x €40.000 = €80.000||0.5 x €40.000 = €20.000|
|Labor costs 3 shifts per year||3 x €80.000 = €240.000||3 x €20.000 = €60.000|
|Yearly costs for 1 shift||€80.000 + €34.000 = €114.000||€56.000 + €60.000 = €116.000|
|Yearly costs for 3 shifts||€240.000 + €34.000 = €274.000||€56.000 + €60.000 = €116.000|
The diagram shows that mechanical deburring in shifts result in higher total costs compared to industrial automation of a deburring machine with the automation technology by Teqram. The biggest difference is in labor costs. These decrease significantly by using two easyEye® robots. Secondly, the use of two robots saves the costs of buying two swivel cranes and takes away physical load on employees when loading and unloading the machine.
- The investment for a single side deburring machine + easyEye® robot results in significantly higher costs than investing in a double side deburring machine + swivel cranes.
- For smaller companies, the best choice is to go for a regular deburring machine.
- Companies that are using shifts for deburring, could save a lot of costs by using one or more easyEye® robots to automate deburring processes.
- A big advantage of automating is the higher quality that single side deburring will give.
- Yearly savings are especially high when two or more shifts could be replaced by a fully robotized deburring machines.
- More than 150.000 euros per year could be saved by replacing 3 shifts for a fully automated deburring machine.