Automation of a deburring machine
BUSINESS CASE: The automation of your industrial processes can offer both economical and physical opportunities for your company and your employees. In this business case, we will show the benefits for a company that decides to automate a deburring machine by Teqram. In this specific case a machine to round edges.
The following example information used for this test:
- Maximum weight of product is 125 kg.
- Distance between products: 100 mm (in length and width).
- Dimensions of products to deburr: between 150 x 150 mm and 1300 x 1300 mm.
- Throughput capacity (values for high quality single side deburring):
- Radius 0.5mm == 1200 mm/Min
- Radius 1.0mm == 1000 mm/Min
- Radius 1.5mm == 500 mm/Min
- Radius 2.0mm == 300 mm/Min
Max. amount of products for a 0.5 mm radius.
|Product dimensions||150 mm||300 mm||450 mm||600 mm||>750 mm|
|Steel thickness (mm)||5||10||15||20||25|
|Product weight (kg)||0,9||7,0||23,7||56,2||109,7|
|Amount of products next to eachother||6||3||2||2||1|
|Products per hour (double side)||144||90||65||51||42|
|Kilograms per hour (handling)||254||1.264||3.102||5.776||9.291|
|Yearly per 1800 hours / 1 shift||259.200||162.000||117.818||92.571||76.235|
|Yearly per 5400 hours ( 3 shifts)||777.600||486.000||353.455||277.714||228.706|
- Even for lightweight products (ie. deburring steel plates up to 25 kg.) the physical load is considerable (>3 Tonnes per hour for loading and unloading).
- To reach these amounts, 2 employees per shift will be needed. (even for a double side deburring machine).
- Secondly, every employee will need a swivel crane.
- Double side deburring machines offer a lower quality than single side deburring machines.
- From a quality point of view, the best choice is a single side deburring machine. Every product will be put through the machine two times (each side once).
- The investment for a single side deburring machine + easyEye® robot results in significantly higher costs than investing in a double side deburring machine + swivel cranes.
- For smaller companies, the best choice is to go for a regular deburring machine.
- Companies that are using shifts for deburring, could save a lot of costs by using one or more easyEye® robots to automate deburring processes.
- A big advantage of automating is the higher quality that single side deburring will give.
- Yearly savings are especially high when two or more shifts could be replaced by a fully robotized deburring machines.
- More than 150.000 euros per year could be saved by replacing 3 shifts for a fully automated deburring machine.
Comparison of investments.
To calculate the costs and gains of an investment in robotizing a deburring machine, a comparison is made between a regular deburring machine and a deburring machine equipped with our easyEye®.
|Double side deburring machine + 2 swivel cranes||Single side deburring machine + 2 robots|
|2x swivel crane||€20.000||€0|
Looking at just the investment, deburring metal with a regular machine without our easyEye® is cheaper. However, a calculation of the total costs shows different:
|Excl. electricity, wear and maintenance costs||Double side deburring machine + 2 swivel cranes||Single side deburring machine + robots|
|Write-down (7 years)||€34.000 per year||€56.000 per year|
|Labor costs 1 shift per year||2 x €40.000 = €80.000||0.5 x €40.000 = €20.000|
|Labor costs 3 shifts per year||3 x €80.000 = €240.000||3 x €20.000 = €60.000|
|Yearly costs for 1 shift||€80.000 + €34.000 = €114.000||€56.000 + €60.000 = €116.000|
|Yearly costs for 3 shifts||€240.000 + €34.000 = €274.000||€56.000 + €60.000 = €116.000|
The diagram shows that mechanical deburring in shifts result in higher total costs compared to industrial automation of a deburring machine with the automation technology by Teqram. The biggest difference is in labor costs. These decrease significantly by using two easyEye® robots. Secondly, the use of two robots saves the costs of buying two swivel cranes and takes away physical load on employees when loading and unloading the machine.